An updated list of my publications can be found on Scholar
23. Chapman, N.C., Sheng, J., Lim, J., Malfroy, S.F., Harpur, B.A., Zayed, A., Alsopp, M.H., Rinderer, T.E., Roberts, J.M.K., Remnant, E., & Oldroyd, B.P. (2018). Genetic origins of honeybees (Apis mellifera) on Kangaroo Island and Norfolk Island (Australia) and Eua, Tongatapu and Vava’u islands, Kingdom of Tonga. Apidologie. [In Review]
22. Johnson, R.M., Harpur, B.A., Dogantzis, K.A., Zayed, A., and Berenbaum, M. (2018). Genomic footprint of evolution of eusociality in bees: floral food use and CYPome "blooms". Insectes Sociaux. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00040-018-0631-x
21. Dogantzis, K.A., Harpur, B.A., Rodrigues A., Beani, L., Toth, A., and Zayed, A. (2018). Insects with similar social complexity show convergent patterns of adaptive molecular evolution. Nature Scientific Reports. 8: 10388.
20. Harpur,B.A., Guarna, M.M., Huxter, E., Higo, H., Moon, K-M., Hoover, S.E., Ibrahim, A., Melathopoulos, A.P., Desai, S., Currie, R.W., Pernal, S.F., Foster, L.J., and Zayed, A. (2017). It’s good to be clean: integrative genomics reveals the genetics and evolution of the honey bee’s social immune system. BMC Biology [In Review].
19. Harpur B.A. and Smith, N. (2017). Digest: Gene duplication and the evolution of sociality: using big open data to answer big open questions. Evolution. 71: 2952-2953.
18. Harpur B.A., Dey A., Albert J.R., Patel S.*, Hines H.M., Hasselmann M., Packer L., Zayed A. (2017). Queens and workers contribute differently to adaptive evolution in bumble bees and honey bees. Genome Biology and Evolution. evx182.
17. Harpur B.A. (2017). Adaptive maintenance of European alleles in the Brazilian Africanized honeybee. Molecular Ecology. 26(14):3591-3. [Invited Perspective].
16. Chapman N.C., Bourgeois, A.L., Beaman, L.D., Lim J., Harpur, B. A., Zayed A., Allsopp M. H., Rinderer T. E., and Oldroyd B. P. (2017) An Abbreviated SNP panel for ancestry assignment of honeybees. Apidologie. doi:10.1007/s13592-017-0522-6.
15. Kadri, S.M., Harpur, B.A., Orsi, R.O., & Zayed, A. (2016). A Variant Reference Data Set for the Africanized Honeybee (Apis mellifera). Nature Scientific Data. 3: 160097.
14. Chapman, N.C., Harpur, B.A., Rinderer, T.E., Alsopp, M.H., Zayed, A., & Oldroyd, B.P. (2016). Hybrid origins of Australian honey bees (Apis mellifera). Apidologie. 47:26–34.
13. Vojvodic, S., Johnson, B. R., Harpur, B. A., Kent, C. F., Zayed, A., Anderson, K. E. and Linksvayer, T. A. (2015), The transcriptomic and evolutionary signature of social interactions regulating honey bee caste development. Ecology and Evolution 4795-4805.
12. Harpur, B. A., Chapman, N. C., Krimus, L.*, Maciukiewicz, P.*, Sandhu, V.*, Sood, K.*, Lim, J., Rinderer, M.H., Allsopp, M.H., Oldroyd, B.P., and Zayed, A. (2015) Assessing patterns of admixture and ancestry in Canadian honey bees. Insectes Sociaux 62(4): 479-489.
11. Chapman N.C., Harpur, B. A., Lim J., Rinderer T. E., Allsopp M. H., Zayed A., and Oldroyd B. P. (2015) A SNP test to identify Africanized honeybees via proportion of ‘African’ ancestry. Molecular Ecology Resources 1346-1355.
10. Molodtsova, D., Harpur, B.A., Kent,K.F., Seevananthan, K*., and Zayed, A. (2014) Pleiotropy constrains the evolution of protein but not regulatory sequences in a transcription regulatory network influencing complex social behaviours. Frontiers in Genetics 5: 431.
9. Harpur, B.A., Chernyshova,A.*, Soltani,A.*, Tsvetkov, N., Mahjoorighasrodashti, M.*, Xu, Z.*, and Zayed, A. (2014) No genetic tradeoffs between hygienic behaviour and individual innate immunity in the honey bee, Apis mellifera. PLoS One 9(8):e104214.
8. Harpur, B.A., Kent, C.F., Molodtsova, D., Lebon, J.M.D.*, Alqarni, A.S., Owayss, A.A., and Zayed, A. (2014) Population genomics of the honey bee reveal strong signatures of positive selection on worker traits. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 111:2614-2619. [Cover Story]
7. Harpur, B.A., Minaei, S., Kent, C.K., and Zayed, A. (2013). Admixture increases diversity in managed honey bees. Reply to De la Rúa et al. (2013). Molecular Ecology. 22(12): 3211-3215.
6. Harpur, B.A. and Zayed, A. (2013) Accelerated evolution of innate immunity proteins in social insects: adaptive evolution or relaxed constraint? Molecular Biology and Evolution. 30(7): 1665-1674.
5. Kent, C.F., Minaei, S., Harpur, B.A., and Zayed, A. (2013) Reply to Hunt et al.: Worker-biased genes have high guanine–cytosine content and rates of nucleotide diversity in the honey bee. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 109(6):E447.
4. Kent, C.F., Minaei, S., Harpur, B.A., and Zayed, A. (2012) Recombination is associated with the evolution of genome structure and worker behavior in honey bees. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 109(44): 18012-18017. [Selected by the Faculty of 1000].
3. Harpur, B.A., Sobhani, M.*, and Zayed, A. (2012) A review of the consequences of complementary sex determination and diploid male production on mating failures in the Hymenoptera. Entomologia Experimentalis et Applicata. 146(1):156-164. [Invited Review].
2. Harpur, B.A., Minaei, S, Kent, C.F., and Zayed, A. (2012) Management Increases Genetic Diversity of the Honey Bee via Admixture. Molecular Ecology. 21:4414-4421.[Study featured as a From the Cover story and in a Perspective commissioned by Molecular Ecology]
1. Bassett T., Harpur B.A., Poon H.Y., Kuo K.Y., and Lee C.H. (2008) Effective stimulation of growth in MCF-7 human breast cancer cells by inhibition of syntaxin18 by external guide sequence and ribonuclease P. Cancer Letters. 272:167-175.
* - undergraduate collaborators
2. Harpur, B.A. and Zayed, A. (2016) Featured Bee: Honey bee (Apis mellifera). In: Snow, K. ed. Bees of Toronto: A Guide to Their Remarkable World. [OALA Award Winner].
1. Harpur, B.A. and Zayed, A. (2014) Honey Bee: Management. In: Smith, C. ed. Encyclopedia of Global Archaeology pp 3481-3483. [Invited Chapter].
7. Atkins, T.*, Nordin, M., and Harpur, B.A. (2017) Experiential learning for science education in the bee yard. American Bee Journal. [in prep]
6. Harpur, B.A. Soltani, A.*, Chernyshova, A.*, and Zayed, A. (2013) No trade-offs between social and innate immunity in the honey bee. Hivelights 6(2):11-13.
5. Harpur, B.A., Kent, C.F., and Zayed, A. (2012) Variation in differentiation across the honey bee, Apis mellifera, genome: Signs of Adaptive selection. Genome 55(10): 719. [Selected Abstract].
4. Harpur, B.A. (2012) Meadow Restoration and Pollinator Patches- Part 2, Bee Research. Etobicoke and Mimico Watersheds Creek Times e-newsletter.
3. Harpur, B.A. (2012) Power of Pollinators. CurioCity by Let’s Talk Science.
2. Harpur, B.A. (2011) Of Hospitals and Honey Bees, What We Can Learn From the Bee. Ontario Bee Journal. November: 45.
1. Akbari, R., Sui, K., and Harpur, B.A. 2009. A Memorable Mushroom Expedition. Over the Edge. 6(2):1.
* - undergraduate collaborators